Honorary Consultant Nephrologist
Telephone: 01223 336817
Dr Hiemstra is a clinical trialist and trials methodologist with the Cambridge Clinical Trials Unit. His main interest is efficient trials design. He leads a portfolio of trials and cohort studies in nephrology and related disciplines, including SIMPLIFIED, PHOSPHATE, SAVE-UK and PROTECT, and co-leads TARGET-1 and TURING.
Patient Led Research Hub
The Patient Led Research Hub (PLRH) aims to provide infrastructure, resources and expertise to patient groups to support the development and delivery of patient initiated research. Directed by Dr Hiemstra, the PLRH currently collaborates with the PKD Charity, the Kidney Care UK (KCUK) and Gitelman’s UK among many others.
The PLRH can be contacted here.
- Mader LB, Harris T, Kläger S, Wilkinson IB, Hiemstra TF. Inverting the Patient Involvement Paradigm: Defining Patient Led Research. Res Involve Engagem 2018 Jul 10;4:21.
- El-Damanawi R, Lee M, Harris T et al. Randomised Controlled Trial of High versus Ad Libitum Water Intake in Patients with Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease: Rationale and Design of the DRINK Feasibility Trial. BMJ Open. 2018 May 9;8(5):e022859.
- Odudu A, Hiemstra TF. Improving the External Validity of Clinical Trials in Dialysis Populations. Perit Dial Int 2017 Sep-Oct;37(5):494-496.
- Hayer MK, Edwards NC, Slinn G et al. A Randomized, Multicenter, Open-label, Blinded End Point Trial Comparing the Effects of Spironolactone to Chlorthalidone on Left Ventricular Mass in Patients With Early-stage Chronic Kidney Disease: Rationale and Design of the SPIRO-CKD Trial. Am Heart J 2017 Sep;191:37-46.
- Baigent C, Herrington WG, Coresh J et al. Challenges in Conducting Clinical Trials in Nephrology: Conclusions from a Kidney Disease-Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Controversies Conference. Kidney Int 2017 Aug;92(2):297-305
- Hiemstra TF, Walsh M, Mahr A et al. Mycophenolate Mofetil vs Azathioprine for Remission Maintenance in Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody-Associated Vasculitis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA 2010 Dec 1;304(21):2381-8.
- Galloway PA, El-Damanawi R, Bardsley V, Pritchard NR, Fry AC, Ojha SJ, Hiemstra TF. Vitamin K Antagonists Predispose to Calciphylaxis in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease. Nephron 2015;129(3):197-201.
- Hiemstra TF, Charles PD, Hester SS, Gracia T, Al-Lamki R, Gatto L, Robinson C, Floto RA, Skepper JN, Lilley KS, Karet Frankl FE. Exosomes in Human Urine as Innate Immune Effectors. J Am Soc Nephrol 2014(9)2017-2027.
- Hiemstra TF, Casian A, Boraks P, Jayne DR, Schoenmakers I. Plasma Exchange Induces Vitamin D Deficiency. 2014;107(2):123-30
- Hiemstra TF, Brown AJ, Chaudhry A, Walsh M. Association of Calcium, Phosphate and PTH with Renal Allograft Function. Am J Nephrol 2013;37(4):339-45
- Robinson C, Hiemstra TF, Spencer S, Waller S, Daboo L, Karet Frankl FE, Sandford RN. Clinical Utility of PKD2 Mutation Testing in a Polycystic Kidney Disease Cohort Attending a Specialist Nephrology Out-Patient Clinic. BMC Nephrol 2012; 22(4):136-145
- Hiemstra TF, Charles PD, Hester SS, Karet FE, Lilley KS. Uromodulin Exclusion List Improves Depth of Urinary Exosomal Protein Coverage by LC-MS/MS. J Biomol Tech 2011; 22(4):136-145.
- El-Damanawi R, Kershaw S, Campbell G, Hiemstra TF. Successful Restoration of Vascular Access Patency after Late Intervention. Clin Kidney J 2015 Feb;8(1):82-6 .