Director of the Vasculitis and Lupus Service, Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Tel: 01223 336816
European Vasculitis Research
A portfolio of interventional clinical trials, and studies in biomarkers, histopathology and clinical epidemiology of ANCA vasculitis has been co-ordinated from Cambridge over the last 25 years. The network has expanded to involve centres in North America, Australia/New Zealand and Japan and is now conducting clinical trials in over 100 centres. The studies have optimized the use of current therapies and explored newer biologic agents. They have defined the current ‘standard of care’ in ANCA vasculitis and have informed systematic reviews and international consensus management guidelines.
Early phase clinical trials
Single and multi-centre clinical trials have been performed in ANCA vasculitis, Behçet’s syndrome and lupus nephritis including the evaluation of mycophenolate mofetil, alemtuzumab, infliximab, adalimumab, rituximab and deoxyspergualin.
Proetomic and microbiomic studies in vasculitis and lupus nephritis and collaboration with Professor Ken Smith’s group in support of their transcriptomic and genomic studies in autoimmunity. Evaluation of the clinical utility of anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibodies (ANCA) with Niels Rasmussen and the European Vasculitis Society.
- Roberts DM, Jones RB, Smith RM, Alberici F, Kumaratne DS, Burns S, Jayne DR. Rituximab-associated hypogammaglobulinemia: Incidence, predictors and outcomes in patients with multi-system autoimmune disease. J Autoimmun. 2014
- Jayne D. Extending the indications for rituximab in ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:1839-1840.
- Alberici F, Smith RM, Jones RB, Roberts DM, Willcocks LC, Chaudhry A, Smith KG, Jayne DR. Long-term follow-up of patients who received repeat-dose rituximab as maintenance therapy for ANCA-associated vasculitis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014
- Mohammad AJ, Hot A, Arndt F, Moosig F, Guerry MJ, Amudala N, Smith R, Sivasothy P, Guillevin L, Merkel PA, Jayne DR. Rituximab for the treatment of eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg-Strauss). Ann Rheum Dis. 2014
- Walsh M, Casian A, Flossmann O, Westman K, Hoglund P, Pusey C, Jayne DR. Long-term follow-up of patients with severe ANCA-associated vasculitis comparing plasma exchange to intravenous methylprednisolone treatment is unclear. Kidney Int. 2013
- Walsh M, Merkel PA, Peh CA, Szpirt W, Guillevin L, Pusey CD, Dezoysa J, Ives N, Clark WF, Quillen K, Jayne DR. Plasma exchange and glucocorticoid dosing in the treatment of anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody associated vasculitis (PEXIVAS): protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2013;14:73.
- Faurschou M, Westman K, Rasmussen N, de Groot K, Flossmann O, Hoglund P, Jayne DR. Long-term outcome of a clinical trial comparing methotrexate to cyclophosphamide for remission induction of early systemic ANCA-associated vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2012
- Hiemstra TF, Walsh M, Mahr A, Savage CO, de Groot K, Harper L, Hauser T, Neumann I, Tesar V, Wissing KM, Pagnoux C, Schmitt W, Jayne DR. Mycophenolate Mofetil vs Azathioprine for Remission Maintenance in Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody-Associated Vasculitis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2010;304:2381-8.
- Jones RB, Cohen Tervaert JW, Hauser T, Luqmani R, Morgan MD, Peh CA, Savage CO, Segelmark M, Tesar V, van Paassen P, Walsh D, Walsh M, Westman K, Jayne DR. Rituximab versus cyclophosphamide in ANCA-associated renal vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:211-220.
- Dooley MA, Jayne D, Ginzler EM, Isenberg D, Olsen NJ, Wofsy D, Eitner F, Appel GB, Contreras G, Lisk L, Solomons N. Mycophenolate versus azathioprine as maintenance therapy for lupus nephritis. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:1886-1895.
- Smith RM, Jones RB, Guerry MJ, Laurino S, Catapano F, Chaudhry A, Smith KG, Jayne DR. Rituximab for remission maintenance in relapsing ANCA-associated vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2012
- Mahr A, Katsahian S, Varet H, Guillevin L, Hagen EC, Hoglund P, Merkel PA, Pagnoux C, Rasmussen N, Westman K, Jayne DR. Revisiting the classification of clinical phenotypes of anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis: a cluster analysis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012
- Jones RB, Ferraro AJ, Chaudhry AN, Brogan P, Salama AD, Smith KG, Savage CO, Jayne DR. A multicenter survey of rituximab therapy for refractory antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:2156-2168.
- Walsh M, Chaudhry A, Jayne D. Long-term follow-up of relapsing/refractory anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody associated vasculitis treated with the lymphocyte depleting antibody alemtuzumab (CAMPATH-1H). Ann Rheum Dis. 2008;67:1322-1327.
- Clatworthy MR, Wallin EF, Jayne DR. Anti-glomerular basement membrane disease after alemtuzumab. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:768-769.
- Jayne DR, Gaskin G, Rasmussen N, Abramowicz D, Ferrario F, Guillevin L, Mirapeix E, Savage CO, Sinico RA, Stegeman CA, Westman KW, van der Woude FJ, de Lind van Wijngaarden RA, Pusey CD. Randomized trial of plasma exchange or high-dosage methylprednisolone as adjunctive therapy for severe renal vasculitis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;18:2180-2188.
- Smith KG, Jones RB, Burns SM, Jayne DR. Long-term comparison of rituximab treatment for refractory systemic lupus erythematosus and vasculitis: Remission, relapse, and re-treatment. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:2970-2982.
- De Groot K, Rasmussen N, Bacon PA, Tervaert JW, Feighery C, Gregorini G, Gross WL, Luqmani R, Jayne DR. Randomized trial of cyclophosphamide versus methotrexate for induction of remission in early systemic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:2461-2469.
- Jayne D, Rasmussen N, Andrassy K, Bacon P, Tervaert JW, Dadoniene J, Ekstrand A, Gaskin G, Gregorini G, de Groot K, Gross W, Hagen EC, Mirapeix E, Pettersson E, Siegert C, Sinico A, Tesar V, Westman K, Pusey C. A randomized trial of maintenance therapy for vasculitis associated with antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:36-44.