Senior Research Associate, University of Cambridge
Tel: 01223 336739
I am interested in the molecular genetics of complex traits like hypertension and arterial stiffness. I am particularly interested in the phenotype-genotype correlations and have two major research projects. One is identifying risk alleles for aortic stiffness in healthy adults using high throughput genotyping platforms. The other is large artery stiffening in isolated systolic hypertensives and their offspring. Arterial stiffness is highly heritable, but despite a clear genetic basis, the precise molecular pathways regulating stiffness remain largely undefined.
My current research is focussed on the genome wide association study (GWAS) of arterial stiffness in young healthy adults from the Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT), and replication studies of GWAS regions in other populations in the UK and in India. I have been actively involved with the CLEAREST and several large-scale community based studies including ACCT, ENIGMA in the UK, Hyderabad Nutrition, Indian Migrant and birth cohort studies at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in India. I also initiated and lead the collection of aortic tissue samples, and a new project with integrated genomics approach to identify genetic markers (expression quantitative trait loci, eQTLs) for large artery stiffening.
- McEniery CM, Yasmin, Maki-Petaja KM, McDonnell BJ, Munnery M, Hickson SS, Franklin SS, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB on behalf of the Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial (ACCT) Investigators.
The Impact of Cardiovascular Risk Factors on Aortic Stiffness and Wave Reflections Depends on Age. The Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT III). Hypertens. 2010; 56:591-597.
- McEniery CM, McDonnell BJ, So A, Aitken S, Bolton CE, Munnery M, Hickson, S Yasmin, Maki-Petaja K, Cockcroft JR, Dixon AK, Wilkinson IB.
Aortic stiffness and isolated systolic hypertension are associated with aortic calcification in apparently healthy individuals.Hypertens. 2009;53:524-531.
- Hickson SS, Butlin M, Mir FA, Graggaber J, Cheriyan J, Khan F, Grace AA, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM; Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators.
The accuracy of central SBP determined from the second systolic peak of the peripheral pressure waveform. J Hypertens.2009;27:1784-1788.
- McEniery CM, Yasmin, McDonnell B, Munnery M, Wallace SM, Rowe CV, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Central Pressure: Variability and Impact of Cardiovascular Risk Factors: The Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial. Hypertens.2008;51:1476-1482.
- Yasmin and KM O’Shaughnessy.
Genetics of arterial structure and function: towards new biomarkers for aortic stiffness? Clin Sci. 2008;114:661-677.
- Dhakam Z, Yasmin, McEniery CM, Burton T, Brown MJ, Wilkinson IB.
A comparison of atenolol and nebivolol in isolated systolic hypertension. J Hypertens. 2008;26:361-356.
- Wallace SML, Yasmin, McEniery CM, Maki-Petaja KM, Booth AD, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Isolated systolic hypertension is characterised by increased aortic stiffness and endothelial dysfunction. Hypertens.2007;50:228-233.
- Dhakam ZR, McEniery CM, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Brown MJ, Wilkinson IB.
Atenolol and eprosartan: Differential effects on central blood pressure and aortic pulse wave velocity. Am J Hypertens.2006;19:214-219.
- McEniery CM, Wallace S, Mackenzie IS, McDonnell B, Yasmin,Newby DE, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Endothelial Function Is Associated With Pulse Pressure, Pulse Wave Velocity, and Augmentation Index in Healthy Humans.Hypertens. 2006;48:602-608.
- Yasmin, McEniery CM, O’Shaughnessy KM, Harnett P, Arshad A, Wallace S, Maki-Petaja K, McDonnell B, Ashby MA, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Genetic variation in human matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) gene is associated with arterial stiffness in apparently healthy individuals. ATVB. 2006;26:1799-1805.
- Yasmin, Wilkinson IB, O’Shaughnessy KM.
Influence of fibrillin-1 genotype on aortic stiffness in men: a note of caution. JAP. 2006;100:1431-1432.
- Yasmin, O’Shaughnessy KM, McEniery CM, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Genetic variation in fibrillin-1 gene is not associated with arterial stiffness in apparently healthy individuals. JHT. 2006;24:499-502.
- Horan M, Newsway V, Yasmin, Lewis MD, Easter TE, Rees DA, Mahoto A, Millar DS, Procter AM, Scanlon MF, Wilkinson IB, Hall IP, Wheatley A, Blakey J, Bath PMW, Cockcroft JR, Krawczak M, Cooper DN.
Genetic variation at the growth hormone (GH1) and growth hormone receptor (GHR) loci as a risk factor for hypertension and stroke. Hum Gen. 2006;119:527-540.
- Maki-Petaja K, Hall FC, Booth AD, Wallace SM, Yasmin, Bearcroft WP, Harish S, Furlong A, McEniery CM, Brown J, Wilkinson IB.
Rheumatoid arthritis is associated with increased aortic pulse-wave velocity, which is reduced by anti-tumor necrosis factor-alpha therapy. Circ. 2006;114:1184-1192.
- Yasmin, McEniery CM, Wallace S, Dhakam Z, Pulsalkar P, Maki-Petaja K, Ashby MJ, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Matrix metalloproteinases-9 and 2, and serum elastase activity are associated with systolic hypertension and arterial stiffness.ATVB. 2005;25:372-378.
- McEniery CM, Yasmin, Qasem A, Hall IR, Wilkinson IB, Cockcroft JR.
Normal Vascular Ageing: Differential effects on wave reflection and aortic pulse wave velocity. The Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT 1). JACC. 2005;46:1753-1760.
- McEniery CM, Yasmin, Wallace S, Maki-Petaja K, McDonnell B, Sharman J, Retallick C, Franklin SS, Brown MJ, Lloyd RC, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Increased stroke volume and aortic stiffness contribute to isolated systolic hypertension in young adults.Hypertens. 2005;46:221-226.